VP of Insurance
The Zebra, named a Best Place to Work in Austin four years running, is a big-thinking, user-focused, and purpose-driven company that’s changing the way consumers engage with insurance. Reporting directly into the Chief Commercial Officer, we’re seeking a Vice President of Insurance to lead our high-growth agency and to infuse insurance best practices into our company holistically. You’ll be responsible for leading an interdisciplinary team of insurance sales, service and operations employees and will be the voice of insurance at the leadership level. As an experienced leader in the space, you’re confident in your understanding of the complexities of insurance and will be responsible for infusing the agent conversation into our online product.
Your expertise and understanding of P&C insurance will ensure our agency is equipped to continue to scale, meeting sales, licensing, compliance and underwriting requirements. You demonstrate and embody the foundational skills of an insurance leader and practice active discussion, collaboration and proactive communication, instilling these characteristics in your team to build strong partnerships across the company. You embody humble and growth-mindset qualities, constantly looking to improve your skills.
Please note – all new hires must be able to relocate to Austin, Texas by the time of their start date.
This position is not currently eligible for visa sponsorship
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Lead the strategy for business bound by The Zebra’s licensed agents and our third party licensed agent partners. From sales activity to convert the customer, to post sales activity for quality assurance, retention, cross selling and escalations.
- Establish a holistic agency vision and user-centered, data-driven strategy in alignment with leadership to inform and support company objectives.
- Own agency P&L, balancing optimal efficiencies with best in class UX
- Lead the team with a data-driven approach to optimization. Prioritizes highest impact work and always tests assumptions.
- Acts as the primary point of contact for insurance best practices, prioritizing education of your peers on the nuances of insurance.
- Will be a key stakeholder as The Zebra explores expansion into new insurance lines
- Balances big-picture thinking with an iterative and tactical operational approach, making sure your team takes a proactive vs. reactive approach to solving problems
- Effectively develops and manages your team’s growth and performance, practicing radical candor and creating a career framework that sets clear and high expectations to empower your team to create their best work everyday.
- Optimizes the team’s efficiency while also raising the bar on agency operations (never satisfied with status quo), challenging your team to create innovative and impactful work.
- Collaborates cross-functionally with product, design, research, engineering, marketing, and commercialization to infuse insurance best practices across the business
- Engages and maintains strong visibility within the insurance community, staying on the pulse of latest industry trends and principles.
REQUIREMENTS / QUALIFICATIONS:
- 7+ years in insurance leadership roles such as Senior Director, Head of, VP, or comparable position leading large teams.
- 10+ years of P&C insurance industry experience
- Extensive understanding and experience in insurance sales best practices including sales processes, quality assurance, compliance, licensing and workforce management
- Confident actively advocating on behalf of licensed agent team, building an executive presence and relationships across the business that serve the needs of the agency.
- Capable of translating business direction and priority into clear and actionable direction for your cross-functional teams.
- Proven track record of building, developing, and scaling insurance agency teams that prioritize a strong user experience and the necessary processes to write good business.
- Experience in resolving organizational challenges and streamlining processes that scale teams in a high-growth environment.
- Detail-oriented and self-sufficient, ability to find creative solutions and rework processes or build them from scratch when necessary
- Makes the most of the resources available, identifying new resource and tool needs when necessary.
Familiar with agency tools and systems (i.e. EZLynx, ITC turborater, voice analytics systems, telephony systems, etc.)
- Thrives in a fast-paced, high growth and at times ambiguous environment.
EXPERIENCE THAT WILL IMPRESS THE HECK OUT OF US:
- Active P&C license and experience acting as principal agent
- Has experience building and refining an agency team for a company that is in high-growth stage.
- Experience leveraging salesforce to connect agency tools (i.e. rating tools, CRM, policy details, remarketing)
- Experience leading agency team that supports online comparison experience
BENEFITS + PERKS:
- Competitive Compensation & Stock Option Offering
- Health, Dental, Vision & Disability Coverages
- HSA offering + employer contribution
- 401k with match
- Unlimited PTO + flexibility to enjoy it
- Paid Parental Leave Program
- Wellness perk ($100/month)
- Pet Adoption Reimbursement ($300/year)
- Learning & Development Stipends
- Bi-Monthly Wednesday Catered Lunch
- Zeal Care – Monthly wellness subscriptions ($35/month)
- Curated monthly snack box – sent to your house
- Opportunity to join Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) or drive our diversity & inclusion stance by creating your own
Join a team that truly lives their values, and values their lives (outside of the office. Cliche, we know… but we really mean it)
ABOUT THE ZEBRA
The Zebra is the nation’s leading insurance search comparison site. With its dynamic, real-time quote comparison tool, drivers can identify insurance companies with the coverage, service level, and pricing to suit their unique needs. The Zebra compares more than 100 car insurance companies and provides licensed agent support and educational resources to ensure drivers are equipped to make the most informed decisions about their policies. It’s “insurance in black and white.”
Headquartered in Austin, Texas, The Zebra has garnered the attention and investment of some of the nation’s top venture capitalists, and the company’s success has been profiled in publications like Inc., Time, Forbes, and TechCrunch. Austin Business Journal named The Zebra a Best Place to Work in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020. Austin American-Statesman awarded The Zebra as a Top Workplace in 2016, 2017 and 2018. Inc. Magazine also awarded The Zebra as Best Workplaces – 2018, 2019, 2020.
The Zebra is aiming to grow our fantastic team to add to our dynamic culture and continue building on our success. Working at The Zebra means never being bored, always being challenged, and supporting one another. We’re a happy, hardworking group, and we’re eager to add “new stripes” who share those values.
The Zebra is an equal opportunity employer and “at will” company.
As part of our dedication to maintaining an inclusive and diverse workforce, The Zebra provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, The Zebra complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The Zebra expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of The Zebra’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
**No external recruiters or agents, please.**
How to apply
If you're interested in this position, please go HERE to apply.