VP of Engineering
The VP of Engineering will have broad responsibility for understanding the current and future business needs of Safely’s business and will work closely with product management to establish a vision and roadmap for the organization’s technologies. The VP of Engineering will be a key part of the Safely’s leadership team and will need a combination of business focus and demonstrated technical leadership acumen.
- Learn and maintain in-depth knowledge of Safely’s product, value, competitors, and vacation home rental industry trends
- Ensure business continuity on a day-to-day basis as the business grows
- Existing system – Manage the offshore development team:
- Review the existing technical architecture and implementation, to include quality, performance, security, scalability, cost, development methodology and team skill set.
- Identify any gaps or problems that need to be remediated and manage the resolution in a way that is seamless from a customer and operational perspective
- Manage the current team of offshore developers and lead them to follow IT Best Practices.
Offshore/Onshore Product Development
- Develop and execute a plan to migrate key software components and capabilities from offshore to onshore
- Identify optimal team structure for onshore software development and optimal split between onshore and offshore
- Own recruiting for the onshore Product, Design and Engineering organizations
- Architecture and Technology and Methodology
- Work with management team and advisors to develop strategic technical vision for the company and anticipate, plan and act on shifts in technology
- Create and own Safely’s architecture and technology roadmap to meet Safely’s short and long-term growth objectives.
- Develop product feature roadmap in cooperation with Product management and other key stakeholders
- Specify the team structure and software development methodology that is optimal for Safely’s tactical and strategic business objectives
- Ensure technical architecture incorporates requirements/certifications for security and privacy
- Recruit, train and manage a high-performance software engineering team.
- Set software development schedules and release dates. Identify problems early and resolve issues on a timely basis.
- Work with Product Management to establish a clear product requirements process
- Manage relationships with third party vendors/partners to ensure robust integration with third party API’s
- Manage QA team, develop automated testing and regression capabilities
- Recruit software engineers to build the onshore team
- Manage all software development and QA resources
- Ensure technical architecture incorporates requirements/certifications for security and privacy of Safely’s customers
- Act as Data Protection Officer and ensure the security and privacy of Safely’s customers are met, including all relevant certifications.
- Initial responsibilities will include IT Operations (hosting, monitoring/alerting, backup/restore, networks, servers and storage) and will assist in recruiting and setting up this function.
- Responsible for quality, performance and security of the hosted solution.
- Work with customer support to establish a ticketing system and escalation process.
- Hands-on leader and creative problem solver who thrives working in a fast paced, hi growth startup environment
- Enjoys multi-tasking, such as people management, engaging with customers or getting hands dirty in the code
- Strong product vision and customer focus
- Excellent team building and people management skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- A proven track record of leadership in areas of technology and product.
- 10+ years of consistent history delivering software products both as an individual contributor and an engineering leader
- Has prior experience with and a clear vision of what a successful Product, Design and Engineering organization looks like and how to achieve it.
- Hired and grown teams in an early stage company.
- A broad range of experience with business to business system integrations
- Our current Tech Stack is: Node JS, Angular, MySQL
- Hosted on AWS
- Some background in AI and data analytics a plus.
What we do.
Safely makes Airbnb and HomeAway rentals safer through predictive analytics and insurance distribution. Homeowners are protected because each guest passes a full background check, and is compared against our database of bad guests who have destroyed homes. We built a risk score and insurance underwriting model to predict the outcome of each stay, and motivate high-risk guests to make good decisions. Each reservation is covered with up to $1,000,000 of primary commercial insurance. We provide over $1 billion of liability coverage for homeowners and guests each month. We are an ATDC company and backed by General Catalyst, TechStars, and Plug and Play.
Why work here?
At Safely, we transform how people share assets and help homeowners rent safely and create a business. We are building the trust and safety infrastructure of the sharing economy. We are hiring the visionaries who can make change happen. Our team has a direct and immediate impact by helping to crack one of the world’s biggest economic shifts – the sharing economy — affecting millions of homeowners and guests every day. We encourage our team to take initiative, suggest new ideas and pursue them. Our team is collaborative, and we thrive in a fast-growing ambiguous startup environment with 400% compounded annual growth. We offer a competitive salary, meaningful work, and strong insurance benefits.
We provide Equal Employment Opportunity for all individuals regardless of race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, status as a protected veteran, genetic information, status as a qualified individual with a disability and any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
How to apply
Please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org