Head of Underwriting [Remote]
We make good things happen by recognizing and rewarding people for taking the high road. How? By reinventing insurance that celebrates people’s mindful choices.
Insurance was fundamentally a brilliant idea, but it always had a key challenge — it couldn’t identify and acknowledge the positive decisions that individuals made along the way. But when we apply smart mobile technologies, we can. And that’s what we do. We help our customers save on their monthly bill. But more importantly, they join a growing movement of people who dare to live more mindfully because doing so is simply better for everyone.
We’re a well-funded, talent dense team of people who care about using our skills to do good. From data science, to design, engineering, insurance, product, research, user experience and beyond — we believe in people who believe they can make the world even better. Join us, and let’s build the higher path that is HiRoad.
We are looking for a Head of Underwriting to lead a function that blends analytics / modeling, strategy development, and operational execution to drive underwriting results. You will own our automated, data-driven underwriting strategy and manage a small team of production underwriters.
What you’ll do
- Develop, implement, and monitor Property & Casualty Underwriting philosophy, guidelines, strategy, and vision
- Collaborate with the Insurance Product and Data Science teams to develop and implement predictive Underwriting models
- Analyze data and competitive intelligence to identify problems/opportunities, hypothesize solutions, and lead testing and implementation of those solutions
- Manage our production underwriting team, directing work and enhancing processes to enable scaling the business without scaling the amount of manual underwriting work
- Take accountability for quality underwriting results, ultimately meeting loss ratio targets
- Ensure compliance with regulations and filed rules and guidelines
- Collaborate with the Customer Care team to ensure all underwriting processes fit into an exceptional customer experience
What we’re looking for
- Extensive experience in personal lines auto underwriting
- Expert in underwriting data analytics
- Experience contributing to development of predictive underwriting models
- Proven success in defining and implementing underwriting strategy
- Expert at collaboration with cross-functional stakeholders
- A startup mindset and drive to work problems until seeing business impact
- Insurance industry designation (e.g. CPCU) or masters degree in business is a plus
- People management experience is a plus
- Proximity to San Francisco, CA, Providence, RI, or Tempe, AZ is not required but would allow for easy office visits
- Salary: We pay competitive salaries factoring in experience, skill set, and location. We do not offer equity.
- We provide a wide-selection of health and welfare benefits including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, and supplemental income plans. We also offer a 401(k) Plan with a company match.
- Wellness and Time Off: We provide Headspace subscriptions, a wellness allowance, and generous time off including four weeks of PTO in the first year of employment with additional time granted upon hire. New parents may also take eight weeks of fully paid parental leave (plus four weeks for parents who give birth) which may be taken within one year after the birth and/or the adoption of a child.
- Professional learning and growth: We provide a generous allowance each year for professional learning, continuing education, and career development.
- Location: May work from anywhere in the US, but will need to be actively available during core meeting hours from 9:00AM – 3:00PM pacific time to collaborate with team members across all time zones.
- Some travel may be required after the San Francisco office re-opens.
- Candidates based in the SF Bay Area will be able to commute to the SF office for in-person meetings and other gatherings. Frequency TBD.
BlueOwl, LLC is an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
This role is employed by BlueOwl, LLC. BlueOwl, LLC is a separate company in the State Farm family of companies and is the solutions provider for the HiRoad Assurance Company.
How to apply