Project Management Consultant – Venture Capital
- Supporting current startup investment portfolio and venture team
- Event and conference management
- Working with partners for pre-conference events, dinners, etc
- Assist in tracking and estimating budgets for travel (conferences, networking events, co-sponsored events)
- Identifying conferences, events, investors and other potential partners related to our thematic investment areas
- Assist in launching monthly or quarterly newsletter to stakeholders (pilot internally, then expanding to external stakeholders)
- Community Building/Network
- Support creation of and manage pilot plan for our Advisor Network with experts internal (and eventually external) to Nationwide
- Support new and existing external partners such as Techstars
- Support corp dev, m&a on joint ventures for revenue focused strategic partnerships and joint ventures
- Assisting with special projects such as building new processes, programs, events, research deep dives, etc.
- Support the Investment Team: While focused on the portfolio, as part of the investment team, you would be providing guidance alongside the current team for new and follow-on investments.
Skills needed in hiring support:
- A strong desire to work in and learn about venture and the startup ecosystem. (Experience in university, organizing startup weekends or similar, interning, anything that shows initiative to work in the field a plus)
- A great teammate with a low ego who is self-motivating and takes initiative.
- Exceptional organizational skills and a love of process.
- Superb attention to detail — you need to be able to catch the corner case every time.
- Great attitude with the ability to embrace regular change as we continually improve processes.
- Your network in the startup ecosystem runs deep and wide. It’s something you take very seriously.
- You have desire and ability to learn about venture capital, new domains and technologies quickly.
This position is not:
- A venture associate position nor a partner-track role. Instead, it is an ideal opportunity to immerse yourself in the tech industry / venture community and learn the art of company building from a team of skilled investors and operators.
- Focused on sourcing or directly entrepreneur-facing. Rather, you will work to help review, analyze, and prioritize existing deal flow.
- All glamorous. It involves a lot of behind-the-scenes work doing research, finding resources, managing projects, keeping track of things, following up, etc.
Job Description Summary
JOB SUMMARY: Manages projects to achieve desired business objectives. Identifies and develops business process mapping with regard to data quality/integrity. Recommends, implements and manages policies and procedures for existing and new business processes. Manages business administration functions that support the business needs of the area.
Reports to: Director / Officer. May manage associates that report directly or indirectly to this position. This role is compensation grade G2
1. Manages projects to achieve desired business objectives. Coordinates and prioritizes all aspects of projects, including planning, communication, execution and completion.
2. Develops and controls time lines, including regularly re-assessing risks, throughout project life. Revises project plans on an on-going basis to maintain alignment with other projects and the business strategy.
3. Coordinates business/systems unit resources to log issues, designs processes and implements solutions. Maintains awareness of customer and systems requirements and conforms to those requirements.
4. Responsible for internal and external resource management, budgeting and cost containment.
5. Manages business process mapping with respect to correcting data quality/integrity issues.
6. Develops, manages and implements strategic business processes that support business requirements.
7. Recommends and implements policies and procedures for new business processes and manages these processes upon completion of the project. Communicates process changes to impacted business units.
8. May be responsible for the management of associates including: performance management, salary planning and administration, training and development, workflow planning, hiring and placement, and disciplinary actions. Provides ideas and criteria for establishing and meeting ePMP objectives for area of supervision.
9. Pursues continuous self-development in management techniques, project leadership, applied and conceptual technology and business/product environment.
10. Performs other duties as assigned.
Education: Undergraduate studies in business, mathematics or related field. Prefer degree or professional designation related to business function. Project Management Certification is preferred.
Experience: Six years of work experience in project management, preferably in the insurance, investment or financial services industry. Managerial experience, including: facilitation, negotiation, delegation, mentoring, etc preferred. Business process mapping experience preferred.
Knowledge: Project management concepts and techniques; working knowledge of business terminology; business systems and data processing policies, practices and procedures. Knowledge of business-related systems concepts and requirements preferred.
Skills/Competencies: Excellent relationship building skills. Exceptional project management skills such as organization and planning, interaction, leadership and motivational techniques. Strong negotiation skills and data quality/integrity problem solving skills. Administrative ability to plan, coordinate and assess the work of others, and strong personnel management skills in order to train, develop and motivate staff. Decision making skills for problem identification and selection of alternatives. Oral and written communication skills at all levels for technical personnel and customer contact. Technical report preparation and formal presentation skills. Operates effectively in an environment of deadlines and high workloads. Adjusts schedule or work hours to meet changes in priorities.
Values: Regularly and consistently demonstrates the Nationwide Values and Guiding Behaviors.
Staffing Exceptions to the above minimum job requirements must be approved by: Business Unit Officer and HR Officer.
Overtime Eligibility: Not Eligible (exempt)
Working Conditions: Normal office environment; may be required to travel and work flexible hours.
ADA: The above statements cover what are generally believed to be principal and essential functions of this job. Specific circumstances may allow or require some people assigned to the job to perform a somewhat different combination of duties.
How to apply