At Jetty, we’re creating the iconic brand in Property & Casualty insurance for modern renters and property managers. We’re looking for someone as excited about insurance as we are about good design and incredible customer experience.
As the Lead Actuary, your mission will be to help drive the continued innovation and expansion of our product and pricing capabilities, as well as develop an enhanced understanding of portfolio dynamics and performance drivers. You will lead the creation of our internal actuarial function, defining the processes, analyses, and principles for pricing and reserving that underpin Jetty’s portfolio monitoring and management approach. It’s a unique opportunity to help shape and support the strategy of one of the country’s leading insurtech companies. The breadth of responsibilities for this role touch virtually every aspect of the traditional actuarial scope, as well as push further into insights, analytics and frameworks that data science teams would generally address.
As the Jetty portfolio continues to grow, you will not be alone in this effort. However, you will be critical to laying the groundwork for how we scale. You’re a builder by nature, have a burning desire to create something much larger than yourself and are willing to get your hands dirty and work tirelessly to do so. This position reports to the VP of Insurance in our NYC headquarters.
ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Insights and Analytics: Develop analytics and insights to identify opportunities and trends that drive the portfolio and performance. Work with our data team to help develop enhanced reporting models and metrics to better monitor portfolio trends and experience drivers. Lead periodic analyses and performance reviews for internal and external stakeholders (including for rate-making/indications, product development and reserving).
- Product and Underwriting Strategy and Innovation: Identify innovative approaches to enhance Jetty’s pricing/underwriting, portfolio mix, product offering, and value proposition. Monitor market trends, competitors, and performance to help shape pricing and product strategy and improve our positioning. Support the evaluation of different approaches/options to help drive key decisions.
- Business Process Design/Improvement: Work with the tech teams to shape and enhance data flows to improve efficiency and transparency on key metrics and related reporting needs. Help develop and build core internal and partner-focused processes to support insights and monitoring of trends.
- Running a tight ship: Help ensure we meet or exceed the high standards we set for ourselves and for adherence to required standards.
- Firefighter/First Responder: Be a part of the front-line in answering questions, fixing issues, and supporting both partners and the internal team.
EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS
- ACAS designation required (FCAS designation is a bonus)
- 5+ years of proven, technical experience in P&C Actuarial, encompassing:
- Core actuarial concepts, theories, and methods across multiple lines of business (with significant exposure to Homeowners)
- Pricing and Ratemaking
- Regression Analysis and Predictive Modeling
- Economic Capital Management
- Reinsurance structure and modelling
- Product filings and compliance matters (including preparing DOI submissions)
- Regulatory reporting and related requirements
- Experience leading rate-reviews, reserve reviews, and other technical evaluations
- Prior exposure to, and a good understanding of, the technical aspects of the broader insurance business (i.e., sales/distribution, underwriting, product/portfolio management, forms/filings, and ECM/reinsurance) – and how they relate back to portfolio dynamics and experience
- Curiosity and structured thinking; an interest in how things work, and an ability to find creative and insightful solutions to challenges
- Strong analytical capabilities and business judgment
- An articulate, polished and intelligent communication style – ability to present complex technical topics in simple business language
- Extremely high EQ and empathy; an ability to connect with anyone (but in accordance with your personal style)
- Scrappy self-starter who can roll up their sleeves and get their hands dirty, and believes “it’s better to ask for forgiveness than for permission”
- Ability and willingness to learn new skills and tools (e.g., simple coding in Python)
Jetty is a new financial services company for everyday renters. We give renters easier and more affordable access to rental homes, while helping property managers drive occupancy, reduce costs, and streamline operations.
Jetty launched to market in 2017 and is headquartered in New York City, with our products available nationwide. Learn more about Jetty: www.jetty.com
Jetty is firmly committed to building a team as diverse as our Members. We are proud to provide equal employment opportunities for all candidates regardless of race, ancestry, citizenship, sex, gender identity or expression, religion, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, or veteran status.
Benefits & Perks
- Health, dental, and vision insurance through Aetna & MetLife
- 401(k) through Betterment
- Optional life and disability coverage, HSA & FSA
- Generous parental leave policy
- Free Citi Bike membership and pre-tax commuter benefits
- Gym discounts at NYHRC, NYSC, and ClassPass
- Plenty of snacks and coffee