Head of Underwriting
Our health system is broken, and it’s a huge problem. Costs are rising out of control while the patient experience gets worse. To make big improvements, we need innovative solutions that make great care available at affordable levels. At Sana, we are passionate about fixing this problem.
To do this, we have built a new kind of health plan from scratch for employers and their employees. Our customers can offer rich benefits to attract and retain top talent while paying less than traditional plans. Sana uses proprietary technology to cut out waste and a novel financing structure that gives companies money back when claims are low, saving up to 30% on total costs.
We are looking for an individual with a unique combination of talents to join our team as Head of Underwriting. The ideal candidate possesses deep experience in the health insurance industry and a high comfort level with industry-standard concepts and methodology. At the same time, that person brings a driven yet flexible entrepreneurial mindset that is critical in a startup environment. The Head of Underwriting will have broad responsibility to set and execute the vision for the mission-critical underwriting function within Sana, including everything from driving new partnerships and technology integrations to hiring a world-class team.
What you will do
- Own the strategic vision for underwriting. You will lead a critical aspect of Sana’s business and work cross-functionally to craft a plan that builds upon our overall strategic priorities.
- Manage the long-term performance of Sana’s medical stop loss reinsurance loss ratios.
- Build enduring, trusting relationships with our reinsurance and other MGU partners.
- Implement, manage, and maintain the underwriting process end-to-end, including managing all data partnerships, driving the product roadmap with engineering, and implementing best practices and policies to achieve profitable results.
- Manage trade-offs on difficult underwriting issues with the right blend of judgment and data-driven decision-making.
- Develop a deep understanding of Sana’s patient and claims data in order to deliver insightful, detailed analyses on all things underwriting.
- Build and run an audit program that ensures regulatory and contractual compliance.
- Recruit and develop a world class team to accomplish the above.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in actuarial science or similar technical discipline. Advanced degree in business or analytics is a plus.
- 6+ years of work experience in the insurance industry, high-growth startups, or consulting / finance. Bonus points for health insurance experience and extra bonus points for insurance tech experience.
- Driven and ambitious with an innate sense of humility. You take great pride in your work but are always eager to learn and grow.
- Excellent people manager. You know how to identify, recruit, and maximize your team’s talent. People love working with and for you.
- Analytical. You enjoy using numbers to tell a story. You’re proficient with Excel/Sheets pivot tables and filters; experience using business intelligence tools such as Mode is a plus.
- Unparalleled attention to detail. You love getting into the weeds to get things done.
- Fast learner. Entrepreneurial. Self-directed. Excited to build something from scratch.
- Values-oriented. You care deeply about making our healthcare system work better for people and business owners.
- Strong team player with a track record of working cross-functionally.
- Comfortable with modern web applications. We are building all of our software in-house and you will be a key constituent in its development.
- Competitive salary
- Stock options in rapidly scaling startup
- Flexible vacation
- Medical, dental, and vision Insurance
- 401(k) and HSA plans
- Parental leave
- Wellness program
- Opportunity for career growth
- Dynamic start-up environment.
Sana is a modern health plan solution for small and medium businesses. We use a more efficient financing structure and integrated technology solutions to cut out wasteful spending and get members access to better quality care at lower cost. Founded in 2017, we are an experienced team of engineers, designers and health system operators. We have the financial backing of Silicon Valley venture firms and innovative reinsurance partners. If you are excited about building something new and being a part of fixing our broken healthcare system from the inside, please reach out!
How to apply
Please submit your application here: https://jobs.lever.co/sanabenefits/34e3224e-14c3-4d5d-932e-3c23840f5bd4