Who we are
Carpe Data is a next generation data company that provides predictive scoring and data products for insurers seeking a holistic view into each risk. Leveraging the social web, online content, wearables, connected devices, and other next generation sources, Carpe Data is introducing an entirely new category of data to the insurance industry. We are among the top 23 Insurtech startups, as recently selected from over 800 companies to participate in the Plug and Play Insurance Innovation Platform. Visit http://www.carpe.io for additional information.
What we are looking for
As a Software Engineer for Carpe Data, you will have the opportunity to design, develop, and support innovative software solutions with a small and agile team utilizing a broad range of technologies. Projects will include development of new and existing customer-facing API offerings, Big Data acquisition and distillation, SaaS development, Proof of Concept formation and technical/creative input. The candidate will work directly with both the VP of Technology and CEO (deemed one of Insurance Tech’s “Top Ten Innovators of the Decade”). Our tight-knit technology team is comprised of 8 members, including a data scientist and QA team, enabling the candidate to have a significant impact in driving the company forward.
We’re looking for a candidate who is excited to develop and implement new technologies, and who enjoys a fast-paced, fun, and collaborative team.
Candidates must be located in or willing to relocate to Santa Barbara, CA. Relocation assistance available.
– Develop and maintain a PHP based web application following W3C, MVC, and industry standard conventions
– Build real-time data interfaces with third party data providers and web services using REST, AJAX, XML, JSON and other custom formats
– Analyze large datasets to identify, parse, and extract structured and unstructured data
– Perform local testing and work with QA team to resolve issues
– Create and maintain database tables, ad-hoc queries, and general tuning
– Experience with MySQL and PostgreSQL databases
– Experience with GIT or other code repository
– Experience utilizing third-party APIs including real-time data streams
– 3+ years of software development experience in a production environment
Nice To Have
– Experience with Amazon Web Services ( EC2, Elastic Beanstalk, Lambda, RDS, SQS, S3)
– Python experience
– Developer operations experience
– Experience with PostgreSQL JSON/JSONB functions
– Experience with web scraping, web crawlers, web proxy, HTML parsing, DOM parsing, PhantomJS or other headless browser
– Experience with Regular Expressions
– Competitive salary based on experience
– Health and dental insurance
– Stock options
– 401k with company matching
– 10 annual vacation days
– Working in the heart of downtown Santa Barbara on the 6th floor of the Balboa Building, in an office full of natural sunlight and gorgeous views of the surrounding scenery
– Stocked snacks including fresh fruit
– Company culture events such as board game nights, movie nights, team lunches and undeniably one of the best Fiesta parties in Santa Barbara, on our 6th floor balcony directly over the parade
– Being a core player at a small company that is very well-positioned in an enormous insurance data market that is anxious to integrate our data
How to apply
Apply via the following link.